THE STORY SPOT welcomes contributions from writers, editors, publishers, filmmakers, agents, and anyone else for whom story plays a central role in their lives. Please follow our submission guidelines and be patient; we do our best to respond to submissions within two weeks.
- Familiarize yourself with our content and our mission (Hint: we aim to inspire writers and editors in their work. If it speaks to you, chances are it will do the same for others.)
- Have something to say.
- Say it in your own words and your own voice.
- If you have nothing to say, then at least ask provocative questions.
- Check your spelling. Please. Check your spelling. Literary skills count.
Contributors to THE STORY SPOT are not paid (if we could, we would) but we also do not believe in writers working without compensation of some equitable sort (other than ourselves, apparently). So, we offer the following meagre gifts in exchange for your words:
- Your work featured on the home page for a minimum of one week.
- Your piece and byline featured in the sidebar on all site pages.
- The potential for your piece to be featured in our vote-by-clicks list of Top Posts.
- Promotion of your work via our growing network of readers.
- Links to your sites and/or services within your post and/or via ad trade.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR WORK
Query letters are accepted via the form on this page only. Queries should include a brief pitch outlining your idea for a piece, the category and/or genre under which it best fits, links to related material (videos, products, interviews, etc.), and a paragraph about your qualifications/credits/favorite snack.
We want everything to be above board, fair and square, so be sure to READ THE SUBMISSION AGREEMENT, below. Clicking “SUBMIT” is acknowledging your agreement to its terms.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a part of THE STORY SPOT. We look forward to meeting you and your writing.
All queries and submissions (“the Material”) become the property of THE STORY SPOT. Pieces may be reasonably edited for publication. Publishing dates cannot be guaranteed.
By submitting my query and/or submission, I acknowledge the following express understandings and conditions:
1. My submission of the Material to THE STORY SPOT is voluntary, unsolicited, and not confidential.
2. I acknowledge that THE STORY SPOT’s use of other material containing elements similar to those contained in the Material shall not obligate THE STORY SPOT to negotiate with me or entitle me to any compensation.
3. I will not assert against THE STORY SPOT any claim based on plagiarism, infringement, confidential relationship, implied contract, unfair competition or otherwise arising out of any alleged use by THE STORY SPOT of the Material.
4. There is no agreement, express or implied, relating to THE STORY SPOT’s use or failure to use the Material. I agree that any discussion had with respect to the Material shall not constitute any agreement, express or implied, as to the purchase or use of the Material, or any portion thereof which I am hereby disclosing to THE STORY SPOT either orally or in writing. I agree that THE STORY SPOT shall have no obligation to me in any respect whatsoever with regard to the Material until or unless a written agreement is executed which, by its terms and provisions, will be the only contract applicable.
5. If, notwithstanding my release set forth above in Paragraph 4, I should hereafter claim that you have used the Material, or any portion thereof, without my consent or authorization, I specifically agree that a dispute between us shall be submitted to a final and binding arbitration. In such event, the arbitrator shall be an individual experienced in copyright law and shall be mutually selected by you and me or, if we cannot so agree, then the arbitrator shall be selected by the rules of the American Arbitration Association. In either event, the arbitrator shall be controlled by the terms of this agreement. The arbitrator shall not have authority to award punitive damages. Any arbitration award will provide for you and me to bear our own costs of arbitration, which costs shall include our respective attorneys’ fees and costs. Any such arbitration shall be conducted in Los Angeles, California and shall be governed by and subject to the laws of the State of California and the rules of the American Arbitration Association.
6. I hereby represent and warrant that: (a) except as disclosed by me, in writing, concurrent with my acceptance of this agreement, the Material was created and is solely owned by me and that no other person, firm or corporation has any right, title or interest therein or thereto; (b) I have the full right and authorization to submit the Material to you upon all of the terms and conditions herein stated; and (c) no persons have collaborated with me in creating the Material. I agree to indemnify you and hold you harmless from and against any claim, loss, obligation, liability or expense, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, that may be asserted against you or incurred by you which arise out of or in connection with the Material or any use thereof.
7. This agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of California applicable to agreements executed and to be fully performed therein.
8. This writing constitutes the entire understanding with respect to the Material. No other agreement, written or oral, express or implied, exists with respect to the Material. Any modification or waiver hereunder or termination hereof must be in writing, signed by both of us. The invalidity of any provision hereof is not to affect the remaining provisions. Any references to THE STORY SPOT shall be deemed also to refer to any subsidiary and affiliated corporations, companies under common ownership or control with THE STORY SPOT, and its and their directors, officers, agents, employees, lessees, licensees, successors and assigns.
I acknowledge that but for my agreement to the above terms and conditions, THE STORY SPOT would not accept my request to receive and work with the Material which I am hereby submitting.
BY CLICKING “SUBMIT”, above, I understand that I am stating that I have read and agree with the information above.